Sunday, July 12, 2009

3 weeks!

Hard to believe that our little boy is already 3 weeks old!! Austin has changed our lives so much in such a short time. Everyday we get to know him better and are trying to quickly learn his likes and dislikes. As for now it is very obvious that Austin prefers to be held-ALWAYS! He is such a sweet little cuddler and sleeper while in your arms but the moment you lay him in his bed, bassinet or bouncer he wakes up in a huff. We have also learned that Austin hates to have his diaper changed. The second that diaper is off he starts crying so hard that he loses his breath. It is such a heartbreaking cry but just cannot be avoided. Both Brent and I are getting much better at quick diaper changes to avoid the infamous fountain that comes with little boys. (But I will admit, we have each gotten hit by our fair share.) Austin also doesn't like to be covered up, just like his daddy.  Every time I try to cover his feet or legs, he kicks off the covers to leave his little feet exposed.  During this third week we have even been lucky enough to have 1 night with a five hour sleep stretch and 1 night with a six hour sleep stretch!! Of course that isn't the norm yet but it does give us hope that one day we will sleep again. Austin continues spend more time awake as the days progress and is so fun to watch as he looks around. Austin makes some of the cutest faces I have ever seen! Some of my favorites are his little smirk right after a feeding, his pouty lower lip when he is upset and those random grins. Of course I like to think that he is grinning at me and the funny things I say but that is probably not the case. This week also had some milestones for us. This week Austin went on his first real outing to Chick-fil-a. Everyone that works there was so happy to see him and they all oohed and ahhed over him. He even got his own little stuffed cow from the super sweet greeter. To all those who know our family well, you know what a big deal this is for our little family. This week we also had a big outing to dinner with all the couples from our bible study group. It was such a wonderful treat for me to get to hang out and talk with friends and just to be out of the house for something other than a doctor's appointment. Austin did very well at dinner both times, he slept nice and quietly in his car seat! This week has also been a week full of hiccups and spit-ups for little Austin. I finally finished all my antibiotics so hopefully the spitting up and throwing up will decrease soon.



 Austin's 1st trip to Chick-fil-a!!
























Some random pictures of Austin this week in my two favorite onesies.







(Disclaimer: this part is more graphic!!)

As for me this week, it started with of course another trip to wound care but this week they put on a wound vac. So all week I got to be hooked up to a vaccuum that is supposed to be helping my incision heal faster by using negative pressure. This vaccuum includes foam placed inside the wound, a suction cup, LOTS of tape, nearly 2 feet of tubing and a lovely 3lb. battery pack that I get to carry with me 24/7!! It has been such a pain to deal with and a gigantic obstacle in caring for a newborn. You never really realize how much you get up and move around until you have something tethered too you!! The wound vac also meant that I now had to have home health care nurses come out every other day to clean and change the dressing. And although the nurses have been very kind and it has been nice to have to not get Austin all packed up, it still is not much fun at all. I go back to the doctor at wound care on Monday and hopefully I will only have to have this wound vac for another week.

Me with my wound vac and battery pack.  This is what I get to carry around everywhere I go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment