Saturday, July 25, 2009

top 5 in the fifth (week that is)

The top 5 moments and milestons from the five weeks of Austin:

5. Visiting Baylor and getting to see the bear
Last Saturday we took Aunt Judy and Aunt Janet up to see the Baylor campus during the weekend visit. This was Austin's first ever trip to my lovely alma mater. I know he had absolutely no clue where he was and he actually slept through most of our tour; but still I had an overwhelming sense of pride and joy to share that part of my life with him. As we walked around the heart of campus using his fabulous stroller for the first time, I could just imagine him a few years down the road running around and being so excited to see the bear. As we walked around the bear pit I got to share some fond memories of my time at school with Austin, Judy, Janet and Brent. While we were there we were lucky enough for the bear to come out of his cave and pose for a few photos. For our big outing Austin even wore his Baylor Baby onesie that he got from our good friend Mac. I look forward to taking Austin many more times to campus and hopefully watching him fall in love with the school I love so much.

















4. Watching Austin grow and change

It seems like this week Austin has grown so much! He is no longer my tiny little guy who I held so much those first few weeks. He is eating much more these days as well. Those 2 ounce bottles are no more, he now eats 3 and sometimes even 4 ounces at a feeding. He is even starting get little rolls on his legs, under his chin and even his tummy is much more round. No more newborn diapers for our little boy, he has made his way to size 1 already. This of course means he is starting to out grow his precious little newborn clothes. We have already had to retire two of his outfits that he got from grandma Mary and aunt Lindsay. As fun as it is to watch him grow right before our eyes it already makes me nostalgic and reminds me just how fast he will grow up.



The first outfit he outgrew, and sadly I don't have a picture of the other one...he outgrew it too fast!!








3. Swing Sweet Swing

This week we have fallen in love with our baby swing. It is like magic when Austin has those fussy moments. We put him in his swing and within in moments he is calm and almost instantly falls asleep. It has been so nice to be able to get things done around the house, make a phone call or even go to the bathroom without the baby screams in the background. In the afternoons when I am by myself the baby swing is my sanity saver for sure. I know Brent and I love the baby swing but I am pretty sure Austin enjoys it as well. We cannot thank Aunt Judy enough for the best gift ever!




Little Austin enjoying some swing time!















2. Daddy Day Care

This week I had to go to training Monday-Thursday and Brent got to stay home with Austin all by himself. It was so hard for me to leave my baby boy for the first time but I knew he was in good hands. I don't know what they did while I was gone but I loved coming home to see Austin's cute little face. Each morning when I had to get up and go all three of my boys got to stay peacefully asleep in bed. Brent even did a great job of getting Austin packed and ready to go to our friend Amanda's house when he himself had to go to work at 2. Austin had his first babysitter for those 2 hours when he stayed at Amanda's house. He did much better than I did all week. Even though it was really tough leaving each day, I am glad I got these little practice workdays before I have to head back full time. I did my best to remind myself each day that while I am gone he is really just spending most of his day sleeping. I know Brent enjoyed his special father-son time each day and really got some good bonding in while he was in charge.


























1. SMILES!
The best moments of this week have to be the smiles. Austin is really starting to be more alert and awake each day. He looks at you so inquisitively when you are talking to him and responds to whoever is talking by turning his head and trying to find them. We have been so lucky to get a few sweet baby smiles when holding and loving on him. Along with with alertness he is starting to enjoy watching is mobile and listening to the soft music. Austin's favorite thing to stare at is the curtians in the living room. I think the bright red color really captures his attention. He has also spent some more time on his tummy time mat and although he is still not sure about what to do while there, he will lay there content for a few moments at a time. I have tried to introduce a few new toys and other things to stimulate his growing brain but he is still not too interested. Other items to note for the week are that Austin is still doing well with his 1 formula bottle a day and he is still spitting up quite a bit but nothing to be too alarmed about yet. We are still working quite hard at getting him to sleep more during the night and are seeing some improvements there. Most nights we have our last feeding between 11 and 12 and will get 3 hour stretches of sleep after that. He hasn't slept in his bed yet but our goal of this next week is to make that move.




Attempting to play with toys but Austin is not too into that yet.



















melt my heart!!!

1 comment:

  1. austin is adorable! a baby bear in the making...no doubt! i'm sorry to hear about all your post-op hassles, but i hope you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete